Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Up to date


Paulo Fule

Fearless Forecast

The Academy awards or the Oscars, filmdom’s highest award giving body, will hand out their roster of winners on March 5, 2006 in Los Angeles, Califor-nia. As a movie enthusiast and reviewer, I am placing my bets on the following movies and peo-ple whom I think will bring home the bald golden guy Oscar.
The nominees for Best Pic-ture are: Capote; Brokeback Mountain; Munich; Good Night, and Good luck; and Crash.
Some critics say that this is the year of gay-themed mo-vies (TransAmerica, Brokeback Mountain, Capote) and some also say it is the year of political thrillers ( Good Night, and Good Luck, Syriana, Munich). So, it’s just a toss-up between two genres. My hunch is that it will be Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain ver-sus Spielberg’s Munich in a tight race for Best picture. Critics and audiences alike are lauding this epic romance about two cow-boys who fell in love with each other.
But I am going against the tide as I always do. In 2002, my bet was Peter Jackson’s The Lord of The Rings: The Fellow-ship of the Rings but the Oscar Best Picture went to A Beautiful Mind. Last year, I thought Martin Scorsese’s The Aviator will win, but the Oscar best Picture went to Million Dollar Baby.
This year, my bet is Steven Spielberg’s searing political drama Munich. Why? Certainly because in my own opinion, this is the most balanced and fear-less account of the Middle East conflict ever featured in film. Palestinians and Israelis were given justice in the movie.
Although Brokeback Moun-tain should be given recognition for its social significance, Ang Lee might and should win the Best Directing category for his bravery in making a marvel of a movie such as this.
On the other hand, Munich tackles more relevant themes and issues as it raises more questions about morality, racism, regional and personal conflicts in the Middle East and at the same breathe, the world over. My bet: More worthy of best picture recognition is Munich.
For Best director, the nominees are: Bennet Miller for Capote; Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain; Steven Spielberg for Munich; George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck; and Paul Haggis for Crash.
I’m hands-down for Ang Lee because the academy surely missed his talent in mo-vies like 1995’s Sense and Sensibility and 200’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Spielberg already has two Oscars for Directing (Schindler’s List in 1993 and Saving Private Ryan in 1998). My bet: Ang Lee. Ang Lee. And only Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain.
Here are my other bets:
Best Actor: Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain
Best Actress: Felicity Huffman for Transamerica
Best Supporting Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal for Brokeback Mountain
Best supporting Actress: Michelle Williams for Brokeback Mountain
Best Original Screenplay: Good Night, and Good Luck
Best Adapted Screenplay: Brokeback Mountain
Best Visual Effects: King Kong
Hope my predictions are right come Oscar night!
-------ooOoo-------
You can email me @ aviator_ ako@yahoo.com or paolomanuel fule@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home